Tropical rainforests occur in areas of a tropical climate in which there is no dry season, all months have an average precipitation (or rainfall) of at least 24 inches, and may also be referred to as lowland equatorial evergreen rainforest. Some people call the place a tropical jungle as well, because it looks like a jungle, but is a rainforest.
The tropical rainforest has an emergent layer, canopy layer, and understory layer. A majority of the largest trees of the rainforest, growing up to 100 to 150 feet in height, are found in the emergent layer. The canopy layer is shorter and forms an umbrella type of overhang. The understory layer in the tropical rainforest is between the forest floor and the canopy, and it receives only 5% of the sunlight. The emergent layer, understory layer, and canopy layer, help the plants, trees, and the rainforests grow bigger when the rain comes.
- The five countries with the largest area of rainforest are Brazil, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Indonesia, Peru and Columbia.
- The Valdivia Temperate Rainforest, in Chile, is famous for its endemic plants and 150 foot tall trees, as well as its rare animal species.
- If a rainforest is Temperate, that means it has average temperatures between 4 degrees and 12 degrees Celsius, and receives a large amount of rainfall.
- Temperate rainforests are found in limited numbers in the world mostly in regions near the ocean where moisture is abundant.
- The Amazon Rainforest, in Brazil, covers an impressive area of 7 million square kilometers (or 1.7 billion acres).
- The Hainan Province is home to China’s only tropical rainforest, which contains 25 percent of China’s mammal diversity and 33 percent of the country’s bird diversity.
- Madagascar, a country off the coast of Africa, has tropical rainforest abundant with orchids. There are more than one thousand varieties.
- The rainforests of Indonesia are on the islands of Sumatra, Borneo, Sulawesi, and New Guinea.
- There are lots of animals that live in the rainforest, like apes, monkeys, and reptile, but the big cats are the most exciting. In the rainforest you will find Jaguar, Panthers, Tigers, and Ocelots. Tigers are the real king of the jungle.