Volunteering at Stupak Community Center
For the past 8 weeks we have been going to Stupak Community Center to volunteer. We started going once a week to help in the Outreach program, which has clothes, diapers, housewares that are donated to anyone in the community that needs these items. We packed breakfast and lunch for the people in the community that are hungry and need food. Around June they started their day camp program, which goes through the 11th of August. We were asked to help with breakfast and lunches for the kids. After we serve the breakfast and lunches for the campers, clean up the lunch room and dance room. There are always donated clothes to wash and fold for the Outreach closet. When we have down time we shoot basketballs, play foosball in the game room and enjoy the Library. We help out with Art projects for the Art director that ends up on the bulletin boards. We basically do whatever they ask of us to do to help out, including making cupcakes. We even got to try on and model some of the more upscale clothes that the Outreach closet has for people who need nice clothes for job interviews. The individuals do not get paid for this work and it’s on a strictly volunteer basis, but they all love it. We have meetings about following directions, working as a team, job skills, navigating social skills in the community and working as a team. Here are some of their comments about Stupak….
“It’s fun and rewarding” Sarah Verace
“It’s been a blast, they are kind enough to share some food and drinks with us, even though they don’t have to” Jason Dandoy
“I love going over there to help out the kids” Nora Miranda
“It’s good experience at the Community Center” Cassie Hitchcock
“It’s pretty fun, I like seeing kids smiling” John Jones
Question and Answers from a Poll taken by our individuals:
- What do you like about the Community Center? Working with the people there, getting to play hoops and the other fun things also. The Library.
- What do you do you at the Community Center? Helping other people less fortunate. Pack lunches and breakfast, also playing Ping Pong.
- Have you learned anything new at the Community Center? I have learned to have fun, help others and get out more. I have also learned how to get a Library card and learned about the walking track. Washing, drying and folding clothes. I have also learned you can check out up to 44 items from the Library.
- How do you feeling about volunteering and not getting paid? I feel great about it, cos I am having fun and helping others.
- Do you want to keep going to the Community Center? Yes! because I have fun!!