Markets are anchored in community, connecting people with each other and creating opportunities for businesses. Farmers markets have potential to shift the local economy of their community by encouraging consumers to change their diets and eat seasonally.
• Shop early in the day to get the best food and to avoid missing out on unusual items.
• Look for the peak of the season for fresh produce • Bring your own bag or backpack. It can make the hauling easier.
• Hit up ATM most venders don’t take credit cards or checks
• Don’t be afraid to ask for samples
Did you know?
• Since 1920 we have lost 67% of our nation’s farmers
Asparagus Spinach Salad
When you’re walking around the markets, ideas come pouring through your mind as to what you can make from all the amazing ingredients. Using fresh ingredients from your local farmers markets this recipe will taste as fresh as it looks.
• 1-1/2 pounds cooked asparagus
• 2 tablespoons plus1/2 cup olive oil, divided
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1-1/2 pounds cooked penne pasta
• ¾ cup chopped green onions
• 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
• 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews
• ½ cup shredded parmesan
Blend onion, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth, gradually adding the oil in a large salad bowl. Combine the pasta, spinach and asparagus. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cashews and cheese.
DownTown 3rd Farmers Market (Fridays 9am-2pm)
Located at the Downtown Transportation Building next to the Mob Museum, the Downtown 3rd Farmers market is the newest in Las Vegas. The mission of the Downtown 3rd Farmers Market is to be sustainable, seasonal, healthy lifestyle of the community.
Green Chefs Farmers Market (Thursdays 10am-3pm)
Located at the Springs Preserve, the Green Chefs Farmers Market promotes the freshest and most nutritious locally grown food. Most is organic- which means there are no pesticides or herbicides used during the farming to harvest process. Their mission is to educate Las Vegas and support local and fair trade businesses.
Fresh52 Farmers & Artisan market (Saturday 8am-2pm; Sunday 8:30am-1pm)
Located at 302 S. Rampart in Las Vegas, Tivoli Village, Fresh52 farmers and Artisan market is a lively, friendly, open air market where neighbors and friends come together to celebrate their community. On select dates, you will find special events, live entertainment, chef demonstrations, and free kids crafts parties with Handmade in Vegas.
LV Farmers Market @ Bruce Trent Park (Wednesday 4pm-8pm)
Located at 1600 N. Rampart Las Vegas, Bruce Trent Park, provides farm fresh products by certified farmers, producers, and growers. All items are make it, bake it, sew it or grow it, by the artists. Farmers, artists, crafters, and chefs come together weekly to bring the newest ideas to Las Vegas.